Friday, January 3, 2014

Security

Security.  Those loveys that we hold precious in childhood.  Blankies, stuffed animals, what have you.
I loved the satiny silk on a baby blanket so much that I cut it off and put it in my pocket when I went of to Kindergarten.  I am not gonna lie... if I am REALLY sick, sometimes I will wake up and still find my fingers wrapped in the silk of my blankets.
My brother was such a blankie baby that we once traveled a long distance on a family trip- only to pack it in and return early the next morning.  The reason?  We forgot his blanket and no one could tolerate his screaming.... Least of all the relatives we were visiting.
My daughter had the strangest security item ever.  I had a Victoria Secret satin night shirt I wore when she was tiny.  Every  night I would tuck her into bed wearing this night shirt and say, "nighty night... are you comfy cozy?".
One of her first words was "cozy"... which she deemed the name of said night shirt and promptly stole it from the laundry pile to become her blankie.  True story.  That "cozy" went everywhere with her.  We got some weird looks on that one!
To identify, at such a young age, with one item.  To need it.  To love it.  To name it.  The feelings of love and security we associate with said object run very, very deep.  Such primal need for something that is "just ours" and we are so attached to.  Foreshadowing, I would say.
What is your grown up security blanket?  Is it a person you "need"?  A hat you wear?  Is it something darker... alcohol?  Drugs? 
We are strange and funny beings.  Our habits and our needs run deep and are often kept private.
Is secrecy entangled with security?  How safe do you feel when you are with or using your "lovey item".
After posing this question, I believe it is time for my nighty night glass of Merlot.
Ahem.

No comments:

Post a Comment