Saturday, January 4, 2014

Forced Choices

I am defined, ultimately, as Madi's Mom.  With that, I have no issues.  Because she is an "exceptional" child with "special" needs... I am often told how amazing it is that I have "done so much for her".
I am confused.  Is there a choice?  This is my child.  She is the love of my life.  Would I not take care of her?  Would I not do all I can to make her life the most amazing it can possibly be?
I call this the Forced Choice of my life.
Also, the absolute easiest decision I have ever made.
When a Doctor looks at you and says, "enjoy her, I do not expect her to live past age ten"... the disbelief is inexplicable.
What else does one do but try every road, take every path, explore every option?
I hit the jackpot.  The VEPTR project saved my child.
Yes, she has had 39 major surgeries and spent much of her life in the hospital.  Yes, I have sat by her bedside and done all any Mother would do.
 I have a talented, lovely and intelligent sixteen year old daughter.  Her medical history is only a small part of what defines her... and, at the same time, it IS what defines her.  Defines us. 
Somedays... more aptly, some late nights and early mornings, My Mama Guilt wraps around me like a heavy blanket.  Because, you see, Madi never made the choice to travel her medical road.  It was All Me.  At the worst moments, I feel guilty for her pain and her worries. 
Ultimately, morning arrives and I see her sweet face, and I know that there was never another choice.  Every day she is here is a celebration.  Every moment I spend with her I know that she is my greatest accomplishment on this earth. 
We all face those moments when we are forced to choose.  That choice we make, bad or good... right or wrong... was forced upon us and we faced it.
Know, when you see yourself in the mirror, it was your choice and you MADE it. 
Good for you.

2 comments: