Thursday, January 22, 2015

Lack of appreciation

I am not clear if I am growing old and grouchy, or if I am really hitting the mark on this one.
People no longer appreciate each other or what others do for them.
There is a general lack of appreciation in today's society.

The level of hand holding and spoon feeding of information is alarming.
Why?
Is it because we live with our device in our hand, our face in our device, and expect everything to magically pop up on  a screen?

Is it because we put ear plugs in and tune out the world around us?
Does this mean that when someone speaks to us, we simply no longer HEAR them?

Regardless of the possible reasons, we are raising a generation that lacks the ability for genuine communication.  But, let's be clear, it is a parenting issue.

Personally, in my business as a Dance Studio Owner, I have seen an alarming rate of decline on the parent's ability to communicate or follow basic information.  This is not an insult.  It is a fact.  I am diligent in my attempt to make instructions as simple as possible.  With over 200 students and close to 50 Outreach Company dancers, this is not an easy task.  I have two separate websites that I update weekly.  I have a studio Facebook page and a private company Facebook page where I post the links to said information on said websites.  I have monthly newsletters that are posted on the website AND offered as a hard copy at the desk.  I have a gigantic white board in our lobby that clearly states deadlines, due dates and information. I encourage everyone to email me if they still have questions or issues.   Lastly, I have a PERSON who sits at the desk and will answer all questions. 

Inevitably, the ball is dropped.  Rehearsals are missed.  Deadlines ignored.  Classes unattended. 
My frustration at all of this grows daily.  It leads me to be angry and non-communicative on MY end.  None of this helps, I know.... but, I, too, have and end to my rope.

It isn't just me.  School teachers, music directors, coaches.... I have heard this from all of them.  I have done "this job" for almost 30 years.  In the beginning, without all of the technology, I truly believe that there was less confusion.  People picked up the newsletter and READ it.  They WROTE dates in their calendars.  They SAW information when it was on a bulletin board or white board.  They had similar set ups at home ... I always had a huge white board in our house all color-coded with a different color for each child and activity.  At age 5, they were expected to SEE this board and KNOW what they had to do each day.  Accountability.  Appreciation for the opportunity to participate.  It worked.

My favorite memory is the Mom of four active kids who showed up at registration with a binder with her daughter's name emblazoned on the front and filled with plastic scrapbook pages.  She took every bit of information I gave her and filed it under "Dance".  She then added every date to a fold out calendar in the front of the binder.  She told me she had one for each child and, as of first grade, the binder was THEIR responsibility for tracking THEIR activities.  This child went on to be a "favorite".  She practiced, she grew, she thrived.  When she chose to discontinue dance, she came to me, as an 8th grader, and had a conversation to thank me for the years of dance and instruction and for helping her grow into a responsible teen.  Even though she no longer is my student, she remains a part of my life.  Seeing her perform at Area All State or Bi-County is a thrill for me.  She made responsible choices, and I APPRECIATE HER.

Perhaps, we need to rethink the direction we are taking as a society.  Perhaps, we need to encourage our children to be held responsible.  To not expect that they can do it all.  To hold ourselves and our children accountable for their activities, behavior, and responsibilities.

But, really, it begins with us.  Pause and reflect at how much of your anger and frustration stems from lack of organization.   Would it be a bad idea to make a binder?  To WRITE down dates and times and obligations?  I think not.

Let's also consider communicating.  If one is going to miss an activity or practice or rehearsal, please take the few moments needed to let someone know.
I tell my students time and time again to let me know if they will NOT be at class or rehearsal.  Aside from being common courtesy, I WORRY.  I am good at many things, but I am GREAT at worrying.  I immediately think that their car is in a snowbank, that someone side swiped them running a red light, that they fell off a cliff.  No. Really.  These thoughts all cross my mind.  The time and energy I spend tracking down "missing dancers" is unfair to myself and to the dancers who are present in the room.  I am pretty sure that other coaches and teachers feel the same way.

It is a tangled path we are heading down, folks.  A very tangled path, indeed.  Each of us is a string on this path.  Our knots and loop holes trip up others traveling on our path.  Keep your path clear, your string taught, and make the path less painful for others.  It would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment